Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Monday, November 12, 2007

I Waited and Waited

Recently I've discovered The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language. I really like this text a lot. It's written in plain, common, oftentimes poetic language. The guy who translated it (from the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic texts) is Eugene H. Peterson, a pastor, scholar, writer, and poet.

The description on the title page says that "The Message is a contemporary rendering of the Bible from the original languages crafted to present its tone, rhythm, events, and ideas in everyday language."

Thanks Mr. Peterson. This gives me another way to seek that knowledge and wisdom that Proverbs talks about again and again.

Let's take a peek at Psalm 40:1-3 from The Message:

I waited and waited and waited for God. At last he looked; finally he listened.
He lifted me out of the ditch,
pulled me from deep mud.
He stood me up on a solid rock
to make sure I wouldn't slip.
He taught me how to sing the latest God-song,
a praise-song to our God.
More and more people are seeing this:
they enter the mystery,
abandoning themselves to God.

No comments: