Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Monday, February 18, 2008

Final Cut Pro (Not Yet)

I shot some footage yesterday for my first short film. It's amazing how ideas can come to you when you're on a tight schedule and don't have much resources. I spotted some shots that fit the theme of my project (well, even if they don't fit perfectly, I'll make them fit some kinda way). I was in two of my favorite get away places in North Carolina that have spoken to me in the past and spoke to me yesterday as I passed by them. I made a makeshift dolly for one sequence (Lord, please make the shot come out OK).

My first lesson on Final Cut Pro (an editing system) was almost overwhelming, but I've decided to take it one step at a time and get extra help (from somebody!) if I need it--who am I kidding, I already know that I'll need it. My first project will be less than 5 minutes long, but I can see myself spending hours just editing it.

Here are some of the terms I learned from our instructor (an ace editor herself).

"in" point and "out" point
playhead
sequence
rendering
undo (this command is priceless and a life saver)
digitize the footage
video clip
audio clip
batch caputre
log footage
transitions (there are many of these, including the cross dissolve, fade in and fade out)
"J" edit
"L" edit
video filters
color correction
image control
desaturate
crop

HELP!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That is a lot to take in. Much success to you!

Cappuccino Soul said...

Regina,
It certainly is. I had another class last night and decided to just tackle one aspect of editing at a time. Last night I logged some of the footage I shot and batch captured. It wasn't too bad!
:-)
Thanks for wishing me success.
Alicia