Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Thursday, April 03, 2008

My New Home


refugee - one that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

After I showed a documentary to my students today, I reviewed some of the concepts and words used in the film. I felt a particular kinship with my students as we discussed these two ideas:

"I came to America to give my offspring a better life."

"At home, I was in constant anxiety about my family. Here, I don't have anxiety."

I only have to substitute the words "my new home" for "America" and I can sympathize completely with my refugee friends.

(Thank you God for sending me here.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think as a person of color, we should all be able to identify and empathize with these words...

Cappuccino Soul said...

Regina,
That's a very interesting take on those quotes.
:-)
Alicia