Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Monday, May 18, 2009

Breakthrough: Singin' Like Etta James

Believe it or not, I sang with a live band last night and brought down the house!

I still can't believe it. I was one of ten people who took the Breakthrough Performance Workshop with Mick and Tess Pulver this past weekend and I did, indeed, breakthrough.

In their literature about the class the Pulvers write, "In this time of change, why not seize this opportunity to move beyond limitation and fear and open up to your limitless creative power." Well, honey, I gave it up last night. I opened my mouth, danced, threw up my arms and belted out Etta James' "I Just Wanna Make Love to You," with all the passion of Ms. Etta. Mick and Tess picked this song for me to sing and I have to tell you, I was a bit shocked. When I told them that this was not a song that I would have picked out for myself because it was so powerful, they just laughed and told me that I could do it. And do it, I did!

I have to admit, I've not paid much attention to Etta James' music. I typically don't listen to music from that era, but I've been missing something by not playing this lady's music. She's got passion, fire, and the element that I dug up from its buried place in me -- power! Believe me when I say, I'm going to go somewhere today to pick up some of her music.

Mick and Tess are on their way to California today. They're leaving Charlotte for a while and going back Santa Ana to continue their workshop in L.A. and other parts of California. All of us who know them will miss them dearly, especially all of us Breakthrough Performance graduates who gained so much strength, insight, and knowledge about ourselves, our intentions, and our dreams from them. God bless you Mick and Tess! I know I'll be seeing you again.

Here's Etta James singing this powerful, sexy song that has inspired me to go on and sing, dream, and DO!

6 comments:

sondjata said...

no no no.... we want video of your performance!!

Cappuccino Soul said...

Sondjata,
I am going to hunt down the person who took pictures and video footage. I'll see what I can do!

sondjata said...

hunt 'em dooownnnn!

Cappuccino Soul said...

I'm on it bruh! I'm on it!

Anonymous said...

Congrats lady! Sounds like a workshop we could all use! You go!
Marchelle

Cappuccino Soul said...

Thanks Marchelle. It was truly phenomenal. I don't think I know yet how much the workshop did for me. You would love it!

Alicia