Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August 2014 Family Reunion in S.C.


Didn't know they had sand in South Carolina outside of the beach areas. But I stepped all in it last weekend in the Park where our family reunion was held in Florence County, South Carolina. Wasn't ready for the sand in my toes.

We had a ball and hung out with all the descendants of Wheeler and Sally McElveen. We respresented the lineage from his daughter Lizzie. We all wore pink, as the other descendants of the couple wore either blue, green, or red. I hear pink was my grandmother Lizzie's favorite color. 


Uncle Mose and Gigi


Cousin Penny and my mom (Mary)
Aunt Sister and Aunt Juanita

Cousin Kenny, Uncle Charles, Dad (Bobby), and Cousin Ronnie

Aunt Betty and Cousin Shawn
(They, along with Uncle Charles, didn't know about the Pink plan)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what great photos, are you planning to research your lineage further? Your roots? Your mom and dad looks great and happy, it is good to see them.

Love
MaDear

Cappuccino Soul said...

Hey MaDear,

Thanks! I'm more interested in my ancestral DNA. Gonna go through one of those companies that do that sort of testing. I do know quite a bit of the names on both sides of the family. It was great to see everybody and feel the family vibe.

Yes, mom and dad are doing well. Praise God!

Love,
Alicia

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sister Alicia
Definetely I am so surprised to learn that you had a family meeting. We from Africa think that American people live every body for his own and they don't take care of family roots as we do in Africa.
I am so wonderfully surprised by that.
This blog of yours makes me to know lot of things.
I am so impressed.
Kue

Cappuccino Soul said...

Hello Brother Kue,

Many African American families have family reunions. Although my family doesn't have them every year, we do have them every few years or so -- on both sides of the family line (mom and dad).

Unfortunatley, there is some of that mentality that you mention -- "Fend for yourself". But there are also families, or at least parts of families that care about each other and help each other. Maybe not as much as there should be -- but some families do try.

Thanks for your observations. It's always good to hear how our African brothers and sisters think and live. I'm glad and feel very fortunate that we are friends!

Alicia

Anonymous said...

neteru my queen,

thank you for sharing family reunion photos. good to connect with elders and others during that time.

Cappuccino Soul said...

Dear Sister,

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Yes, connecting with the families, especially the elders was rejuvenating, to say the least.

Peace,
Sister Alicia